Gear Products and Suppliers | Engineering Analysis Menu
- The following are links to gears and their application, equations and other design data.
- Should you find any errors omissions broken links, please let us know - Feedback
** Search this PAGE ONLY, click on Magnifying Glass **
Classification and Accuracy Tolerances for Coarse-Pitch Spur and Helical Master Gears An inspection master gear is used with selected fixtures to measure the variations in a manufactured gear.
- Spur Gear Generator with Download Spur Gear Generator is unitless: you may choose inches, cm or millimeters when importing your DXF file as you will have the same value for D/P as it is set above or as imported (SI or imperial units).
- Spur Gear and Assembly Builder Spur Gear and Assembly Builder calculates and models individual Spur Gears and Gear assembly. File down loads available with Premium Account.
- AGMA Allowable Contact Stress, sac, for Steel Gears Table The allowable stress numbers for gear materials vary with items such as material composition, cleanliness, residual stress, microstructure, quality, heat treatment, and processing practices. For materials other than steel, a range is shown, and the lower values should be used for general design purposes.
- AGMA Contact Stress Number Formula for Gear Tooth Equation and Calculator Per standard ANSI/AGMA D04 Fundamental Rating Factors and Calculation Methods for Involute Spur and Helical Gear Teeth:
- AGMA Gear Tooth Bending Stress Formula and Calculator Per standard ANSI/AGMA D04 Fundamental Rating Factors and Calculation Methods for Involute Spur and Helical Gear Teeth:
- AGMA Major metallurgical factors affecting the allowable contact stress number, sac, and allowable bending stress number
- Gear Design Handbook Premium Membership Required
- AGMA Spur Gear Profile Calculator Spread Sheet - Three excel calculation sheets that include the following input data/variables, calculated data and chart graphics.
- AGMA Worm and Spur Gear Design Equations and Calculators Worm gear sets are generally rated by their capacity to handle a particular level of input power, output power, or allowable torque at a particular speed for the input or output shaft.
- AGMA Worm gear Equations For Rating Factors Values for the ratio correction factor, the velocity factor, and materials factors can be found from tables provided in the ANSI/AGMA 6034-B92 standard.
- Practical Gear Design and Manufacture Handbook 872 pages, Premium account required, Gears are produced in enormous amounts - billions of gears are produced by industries every year. While the automotive industry ranks as the primary consumer of gears, numerous other industries also require huge amounts of gears: aerospace (helicopter transmission, etc. ), construction machinery, and agricultural machinery, to name a few.
- AGMA Fine Pitch Tolerances for Gears Gear tolerance chart below, lists the more common tolerance or quality specifications assigned for Spur, Helical and Herringbone type gears.
- AGMA Spur Gear Bending Stress Equation and Spread Sheet (1999) The AGMA* spur gear bending method can be viewed as a detailed refinement of the Lewis method.
- Analytical Mechanics Of Gears The subtitle of this treatise could well be Final Report of the ASME Special Research Committees on Worm Gears and the Strength of Gears
- Automotive Transmission Gear Ratio Equation and Calculator Resultant vehicle speed at known engine rpm
- Ball Screw Design Equations and Selection Criteria A ball screw transforms rotational motion into transitional motion. As a result, the shaft is subject to loads:
- Critical Speed Ball Screw and Lead Screws Formulas and Calculator
- Centrifugal Force Calculations of Rotating Body When gear rotates about any axis other than one at its center of mass, it exerts an outward radial force called centrifugal force.
- Critical Scuffing Temperature for Gears For a given mineral oil without anti-scuffing or extreme pressure additives, there is a critical scuffing temperature that is constant regardless of operating conditions.
- Design and Analysis of Two Stage Reduction Gearbox An All-Terrain Vehicle is an Off Road vehicle that has the ability to drive on any terrain without any difficulty. These vehicles are designed to sustain any sort of extreme loads that act during off road driving. All-Terrain Vehicles are fitted with large tires with grooves for better traction on slippery terrains, high ground clearance to avoid obstacles, and usually designed with high torque rather than speed.
- Elements of Metric Gear Design - There are few mechanical devices that do not have the need to transmit power and motion between rotating shafts. Gears not only do this most satisfactorily, but can do so with uniform motion and reliability.
- Engineering and Applications Factor of Safety Review Factor of Safety (FOS) for structural applications is the ratio of the allowable working unit stress, allowable stress or working stress.
- Flywheel Mass, Size Design Equations and Calculator The torque-angle relationship for an engine or machine depends on the amount of work required.
- Manual Gearbox Design - overall guide to the amount of work involved in the design of a manually operated automotive gearbox, and the problems that can be encountered both during the design stages and in operation.
- Design Basics of Industrial Gear Boxes Gear reducers are used in all industries, they reduce speed and increase torque. You will find them between the prime mover (i.e.: electric motor, gas, diesel or steam engine, etc.) and the driven equipment: conveyors, mills, paper machines, elevators, screws, agitators, etc.).
- Gear Design and Application Summary And Evaluation Of Gear Applications for engineering and design.
- Gears, Cylindrical Methods of Inspection Indian Standard IS 7504
- Gear Pitch Conversions The following charts convert gear pitch dimensional data to the following: Diametral Pitch Module Circular Pitch
- Gear and Tooth Component Illustration A gear or cogwheel is a rotating machine part having cut teeth, or cogs, which mesh with another toothed part in order to transmit torque.
- Gear Equations, Calculators and Formula Spur Gear design formula for geometry, pitch, tooth clearance and critical functional data.
- Gear Material Steels for Industrial Gearing Gear engineering materials are typical steel used within industrial applications.
- Gear Terminology and Definitions Backlash is the amount by which the width of a tooth space exceeds the thickness of the engaging tooth on the pitch circles.
- Gears Lubrication General Gear lubricants are formulated and applied to prevent premature component failure, assure reliable operation, reduce operating cost, and increase service life.
- Gear Type and Overview Spur Gears, Rack and Pinion Gears, Internal Ring Gears, Helical Gears, Helical rack Gears, Face Gears, Worm Gears, Double Enveloping Gears, Hypoid Gears, Straight Bevel Gears, Spiral Bevel Gears, Screw Gears
- Gears Wear, Failure and Lubrication The most critical function provided by gears lubricants is to minimize friction and wear to extend equipment service life.
- Gear Pitting and Lubrication Pitting occurs when fatigue cracks are initiated on the tooth surface or just below the surface.
- Gear Lubricant Characteristics and Viscosity Gear lubricant must possess the following characteristics:
- Gear Scuffing Wear Gear scuffing can occur when there is substantial sliding between a lubricated rolling contact
- Gears Spur and Helical Gears Calculation of Load Capacity
- Gear Tooth Strength Calculation and Equation Design guidelines for determining or estimating your required gear tooth strength.
- Gear Wear, Adhesion and Guidelines The amount of gear wear that is acceptable depends on the expected life, noise, and vibration of the gear units.
- Gear Wear and Abrasion Adhesive wear can be found between gear tooth surfaces during frictional contact.
- Gearbox Design and Application Overview Regardless of the initial conceptualization approach, engineering and design must identify the gearbox application, gear configurations / type and packaging requirements.
- Gear Motor Transmission Inertia Drive Calculator
- Hertz Gear Tooth Contact Stress Equation and Calculator The transfer of power between gears takes place at the contact between the acting teeth. The stresses at the contact point can be computed by means of the theory of Hertz.
- Table of powers, speeds, transmission ratios, dimensions (orientation values) for Gearing
- Helical Gear and Pinion Calculator and Equations This calculator will determine the following design variables for a gear and pinion.
- Helical Plastic Gears Rated Design Hp, Operating Stress Equations and Calculator
- Numerical Analysis of Hybrid Spur Gears with Asymmetric Teeth: Stress and Dynamic Behavior
- Plastic Straight Bevel Gears Rated Design Hp, Operating Stress Equations and Calculator
- Standard Keys and Keyseat's Recommended Practice per. ANSI B17.1 Recommended uniform relationship between shaft diameter and key sizes for parallel and taper keys
- Standard Plain and Gib Head Keys Specifications per. ANSI B17.1
- Design Fits for Parallel and Taper Keys per. ANSI B17.1
- Keyway Cutter Hole Keyway Dimensional Data - ANSI/ASME B94.19-1997 American National Standard Keys and Keyways for Milling Cutters and Arbors
- Shaft Key Seat Depth Control Values S and T for Shaft and Hub ANSI B17.1
- Keyseat Design Tolerances for Electric Motors and Generator Shaft Extensions per. ANSI B17.1
- Inspection Techniques for Spur Gears There are several methods used within industry to perform dimensional conformance inspection on spur gears.
- Involute Spline Engineering Drawing Data When defining engineering design data on an engineering drawing for involute splines, uniform and consistent specifications.
- Involute Spline per ANSI B92.1 Equations These splines or multiple keys are similar in form to internal and external involute gears.
- Involute Spline and Serration Universal Design Calculator Involute Spline and Serration Design Calculator for the following engineering standards:
- Involute Gear Design Equations and Calculator Equations and engineering design calculator to determine critical design dimensions and features for an involute gear
- Journal Bearing Hydrodynamic Lubrication Analysis Equation and Calculator
- Lewis Factor Equation Lewis factor Equation is derived by treating the tooth as a simple cantilever and with tooth contact occurring at the tip as shown above.
- Metric and American Gear Equivalents Table #1 for sizes 1/2 to 7"
- Metric and American Gear Equivalents Table 2 for sizes 7.2571 to 203.2".
- Materials for Helicopter Gears - National Research Council
- Micropitting and Gear Lubrication Micropitting occurs on surface-hardened gears and is characterized by extremely small pits approximately.
- Physical Properties of Plastics Used in Gear Design
- Pinned Sleeve Shaft Coupling Design Equations and Calculator
- Polishing Wear of Gears Polishing wear is characterized by a mirror-like finish of the gear teeth
- Power Screw Design Equations and Calculator
- Gear Ratio Equations and Calculators of Planetary or Epicyclic Gear Assemblies Gear Ratio Equations and Calculators
- Phenolic Laminated Gears Stress Design Formulas and Calculator
- Keyway Stresses for Non-metallic (phenolic laminated materials ) Gears Formulas and Calculator
- Planetary Gears Principle of Operation Part 1. This video demonstrates the principles of operation governing simple planetary gear operation.
- Planetary Gears Principle of Operation. This video demonstrates the principles of operation governing multiple planetary gear sets - The Three Planet Carrier Laws
- Plastic Spur Gearing Rated Design Hp, Operating Stress Equations and Calculator
- Roller Chains Review Roller chains are used to transmit mechanical energy between sprockets in power transmission applications.
- Ratchet Type Gear Design Formulas and Calculator
- Screw Gear Axial Force Calculation Axial thrust or load applied per the applied on a screw (worm gear) thread calculate the axial thrust of a nut.
- SAE Parallel Side Splines Table of Sizes and Dimensions
- Shaft Arbor and Keyseat Dimensional Data - ANSI/ASME B94.19 E & F Standard Keys and Keyways for Milling Cutters and Arbors ANSI/ASME B94.19 Shaft and Arbor Class E and F
- Shaft (Arbor) Keyway Dimensional Data - ANSI/ASME B94.19 A & B Standard Keys and Keyways for Milling Cutters and Arbors ANSI/ASME B94.19 Shaft and Arbor Class A and B
- Sleeve Shaft Coupling Design Equations and Calculator
- Specifying AGMA Bevel Gear, and Hypoid Gear Backlash Specifying mating gears backlash and tolerances, is determined by the operating velocity, lubrication, modes of operation and loading imposed on the mating gears.
- Specifying AGMA Spur Gear, Helical Gear, and Herringbone Gear Backlash When specifying tolerances to control backlash, care should be taken to ensure that excessive tight tolerances are not specified.
- Splined Gears Preferred Number of Teeth 6mm to 58mm
- Modules, reference diameters and numbers of teeth for splined gear shaft and diameters.
- Splined Gears Preferred Number of Teeth 60mm to 500mm Modules, reference diameters and numbers of teeth for splined gear shaft and diameters.
- Spline Engineering Design Formula ISO 5480standard applies to splined connections with involute splines based on reference diameters for connecting hubs and shafts..
- Spline Gear Specifications on Engineering Drawings Geometrical data for spline gear teeth are too extensive to specified directly on the engineering drawing as dimensions.
- Sprocket Pitch Diameter Formulas and Calculator The sprocket pitch diameter is an imaginary circle through which the chain pin centers move around the sprocket.
- Shaft Keyway Shear and Yield Strength Requirements Formula and Calculator
- Spur and Helical Gear Mechanical Drawing Specifications Requirements Defining a gear for manufacturing, or procurement requires engineering and manufacturing information.
- Spur Gear Train Backlash Review Spur gear backlash is the amount of tooth space between mating gears at the pitch circle diameter.
- Spur Gear Design Calculator Tool Equation and calculator to determine spur gear design details
- Spur Gears Force Analysis Equation and Calculator
- Three Gears Ratios, Force Equations and Calculator
- Torque Applied Deformation and Stress of a Shaft with Four Keyways Equations and Calculator
- Torque Applied Deformation and Stress of a Shaft with One Spline Equations and Calculator
- Torque Applied Deformation and Stress of a Shaft with Two Splines Equations and Calculator
- Torque Applied Deformation and Stress of a Shaft with Four Splines Equations and Calculator
- Gear Design for Known Center Distance and Ratio Calculator and Equation
- Worm Gear Formula Table Worm gears are grouped into two general classes, fine-pitch worm gearing, and coarse-pitch worm gearing.
- Worm and Worm gear Design Equations and Calculator
- Worm gear Sizing Equations and Calculator
Link to this Webpage:
© Copyright 2000 -
2023, by Engineers Edge, LLC
All rights reserved