|Material Testing and Engineering
- Brinell Hardness Testing
Brinell Hardness Testing in this test a standard constant load, usually 500 to 3,000 kg, is applied
- Brinell Hardness Testing Equation The Brinell hardness test uses a hardened steel ball indenter
- Case Hardening of Steel 220 Pages Premium Memebrship Required
- Methods of Measuring Case Depth Hardness
- Comparative Hardness Scales for Steel Table
- Coefficients Linear Thermal Expansion Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume in response to a change in temperature.
- Critical Temperature and Melting Point for Common Engineering Materials
- Engineering and Applications Factor of Safety Review Factor of Safety (FOS) for structural applications
- Engineering Physical Metallurgy
- Fatigue strength diagrams of quenched and tempered steels, DIN 17200 - EN 10083
- Fatigue strength diagrams of general purpose structural steels, DIN 17100, test piece diameter d = 10 mm.
- Galvanic Compatibility ( Corrosion Control) Galvanic corrosion is the process by which the materials in contact with each other oxidizes or corrodes.
- Gear Material Steels for Industrial Gearing
Gearing materials are typical steel used within industrial applications.
- Gold Precious Metal UNS Number Specification Table Gold Unified Numbering System (UNS) established for gold
- Hardness Conversion Conversion Tables Rockwell, Brinell hardness, Vickers hardness, Rockwell superficial, Shore Scleroscope
- Hardness Testing General
Hardness test is a simple way to verify that a material has been properly heat-treated.
- Heat Treatment of Metals Premium Membership Required
- Heat Treatment and Properties of Iron and Steel Premium Membership Required
- Magnesium Casting Alloys Typical Mechanical Properties, Elongation, Tensile Temper, Shear Strength, Hardness, Electrical Conductivity
- Metallurgy Engineering Fundamentals Premium Membership Required
- Material Menu
Properties of Metals, Aluminum, Brass, Copper, Stainless Steel, Tool Steel
- Material Terms and Definitions
Definitions related to engineering materials and metals.
- Metal Melting Temperatures melting point of a substance depends on pressure
- Properties of Metals - Thermal >Metals in general have high electrical conductivity, high thermal conductivity, and high density.
- Modulus of Elasticity, Average Properties of Structural Materials, Shear Modulus, Poisson's Ratio, Density Modulus of Elasticity also know as Young's Modulus
- Modulus of Elasticity, Strength Properties of Non-Metals Ultimate Strength, Yield Strength Table of Modulus of Elasticity, Strength Properties of Non-Metals Ultimate Strength, Yield Strength, Modulus of Elasticity
- Outgassing rates of aluminium table Outgassing (also known as offgassing) occurs when gas is released from adhesives, encapsulants, lubricants, sealants, and other materials ferrous and non-ferrous.
- Outgassing rates of stainless steels, along with the surface treatment and pumping time.
- Quenching Review - Heat Treating Quenching - heat treating
- Rockwell Hardness Testing
Rockwell hardness test is the most common method for determining hardness of metals
- Rolling Element Fatigue Testing of Gear Materials Premium Membership Required
- Selection and Use of Engineering Materials Premium Membership Required
- Specific Heat Capacity of Metals Chart specific heat is the amount of heat energy per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius
- SAE/AMS Specifications for Solder, Babbitt and Lead Alloys specifications for soft metals of Solder, Babbitt and Lead Alloys and Lead, Tin and Zinc Table
- Strength of Materials Strength / Mechanics of Material Basics, General Equations and Definitions
- Strength Properties of Metals - Iron and Steel Modulus of Elasticity, Ultimate Strength
ultimate strength, yield point and modulus of elasticity data for steel and iron
- Study of Stiffness, Residual Strength and Fatigue Life Relationships for Composite Laminates
- Tempering Steel Review Steel is tempered by reheating after hardening to obtain specific mechanical properties
- Vickers Hardness Testing Vickers Pyramid Number ( HV ) or Diamond Pyramid Hardness ( DPH ).
- Thermal Conductivity Conversions Conversions Factors for Thermal Conductivity Unit
- Thermal Conductivity of Common Metals and Alloys >typical values of thermal several common commercial metals and alloys.
- Aerospace, Aviation Metals Review Metals and other materials used within aerospace / aviation applications
Materials Ferrous and Nonferrous Metals
- Stress-Strain Calculator and Plotted Curve Approximation using Ramberg-Osgood Equation
- Atomic Elements Symbols, Atomic Numbers, Weights and Melting Temperature Points
- Aluminum Plate Aluminum specifications for plate, rounds and other shapes
- Aluminum alloy Basic temper designation and subdivisions
- Aluminum Engineering Properties general mechanical engineering Properties and data for many common Aluminum alloys
- Aluminum Casting Alloys
typical mechanical characteristics for selected castings.
- Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Sand Castings Cast Aluminum Alloys These are used for parts of complex shapes by sand casting, permanent mold casting, and die casting.
- Aluminum Tempers Basic Aluminum Temper Designations
- AISI / SAE Steel Identification Number Chart AISI / SAE Steel Identification Number Chart.
- Carbon Steel Equivalent Designations / Specifications
- Common Fiber Composites Engineering Data Table
- Densities of Metals and Elements
- Fiberglass Reinforced Thermoplastics Engineering Design Handbook
- Short Fiber Plastic Base Composites Engineering Design Handbook
- Inconel 718 Physical Constants Table Wet Laminate Carbon Cloth
- Inconel Alloys Table
Inconel high-strength, corrosion-resistant nickel chromium material.
- Inconel 718 Modulus of Elasticity Table at Low Temperature Inconel 718 Modulus of Elasticity Table at Low Temperature
- Inconel 718 Modulus of Elasticity Table Inconel 718 Modulus of Elasticity Table
- International Specification Designations and Titles of Hard metals (Cemented Carbides) Cemented Carbides specifications table
- SAE/AMS Specifications for Reactive and Refractory Alloys
Refractory metals are a group of materials that includes niobium , tantalum, molybdenum, tungsten, and rhenium.
- Brass Brass alloys reference table
- Copper Copper Plating Specification Mil-C-14550
- Copper UNS Number and Alloys The Unified Numbering System for Copper
- Copper Tubing Size Chart ASTM B88 Dimensions and Physical Characteristics of Copper Tube: TYPE K
- Copper Tubing HVAC Size Chart
Copper Tubing HVAC Size Table
- Copper Tube Size Chart Medical Gas, K and L Copper Tube: Medical Gas, K and L per. ASTM B 819.
- Stainless Steel Overview Chemical Composition Chart Stainless Steel
- AISI & UNS Stainless Steel Mechanical Characteristics
typical mechanical characteristics for selected Stainless Steel
- Thermal Linear Expansion of AISI 303 Stainless Steel AISI 303 stainless steel, which is a modification of the basic 18-8 austenitic stainless steel, contains higher amounts of phosphorous (0.20% max) and sulfur (0.15% min.).
- Steel Overview carbon and alloy steel references and typical applications
- AISI Steel Mechanical Characteristics - AISI 1015 - AISI 1340 Yield, Tensile, Hardness AISI 1015 - AISI 1340
- AISI Steel Mechanical Characteristics - AISI 4130 - AISI 9310 AISI 3140 - AISI 9310
- AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition AISI-SAE 1000-1029 AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition
- AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition AISI-SAE 1039-1095 AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition
- AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition AISI-SAE 1513-1566 AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition
- Spring Steel Review Spring steel is generally classified as a low alloy, medium carbon steel or high carbon steel with a very high yield strength.
- Typical Modulus of Elasticity of Spring Materials used in Torsion and Tension
- AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition Free-Machining Grades — Resulfurized
- AISI-SAE Standard Carbon Steels Composition Free-Machining Grades - Resulfurized & Rephosphorized
- Poisson's Ratio Definition & Equation Poisson's ratio is defined as the negative of the ratio of the lateral strain to the axial strain for a uniaxial stress state.
- Poisson's Ratio Metals Materials Chart chart of Poisson's Ratio for common engineering materials and metals.
- Steel Terms definitions for a variety of engineering and manufacturing steel related phrases
- Shear Modulus of Rigidity Chart
shear modulus or modulus of rigidity, denoted by G, or sometimes S or ??, is defined as the ratio of shear stress to the shear strain:
- SAE & AMS Specifications Titanium and Titanium Alloys Titanium alloys between SAE, Military, ASTM, ASME, BSI and DIN standards.
- Titanium Alloys UNS - AMS - ASTM - ASME - AWS Cross Ref. #1
- Titanium Alloys UNS - AMS - ASTM - ASME - AWS Cross Ref. #2
- Tool Steel Material, Properties and Specifications These tool steels, which include hot or cold finished bar, plate, sheet, strip, rod, wire, or forgings, are normally fabricated into tools, dies, or fixtures.
- Steel - Aluminum - Magnesium - Machinability Index Chart
- Steel Sheet Mechanical Tolerances
- Sheet Metal Gauge Tolerances Chart Sheet Metal Gauge Tolerances
- Sheet Metal & Wire Gauge Sizes Chart Sheet Metal Wire Gauge Sizes Table Chart
- Structural Shapes, Section Sizes Structural Shapes Steel, Aluminum ASTM, BS, EN, ISO Sizes Tables
Wood Engineering Properties
Structural Shape ASTM, BS, EN, ISO Sizes
- AISC Ultimate Structural Shapes Properties Viewer AISC 13th Edition Structural Shapes Properties Viewer
- Standard Aluminum Angle Equal Leg shape dimensions, weight per foot and cross section area for aluminum angle per ASTM AISC .
- Standard Aluminum Channel, Standard Aluminum C Channel per. ASTM C221 size dimensional chart
- AISC, ASTM Channel (Steel) ASTM Steel Channel Section Properties various sizes ranging C3 - C15
- AISC, ASTM Wide Flange #1 (Steel) ASTM Steel Wide Channel H Beam Section Properties various sizes ranging W4 - W12
- AISC, ASTM Wide Flange #2 (Steel) ASTM Steel Wide Channel H Beam Section Properties various sizes ranging W14 - W25
- AISC, ASTM S Flange (Steel) Specification for hot-rolled sections BS 4-1:2005
- AISC, ASTM Angle (Steel) #1 ASTM Steel Angle Section Properties various sizes ranging L2 - L31
- AISC, ASTM Angle (Steel) #2 ASTM Steel Angle Section Properties various sizes ranging L3 - L21
- Standard Aluminum Angle Unequal Leg ASTM B308 Aluminum Structural Shape Angle Unequal Legs
- Standard Aluminum I-Beams Standard Aluminum I-Beam Size Table Specifications Section Properties
- AISC, ASTM Steel Angle Unequal Leg size and shape dimensions, weight per foot and cross section area for steel angle per AISC.
- AISC, ASTM Structural Tees Cut from W Flange Structural steel AISC A36 Structural Shape Tee Cut From W Shapes Table Chart.
Rectangle Hollow structural sections (HSS) per ASTM 1085 Table Chart Rectangle Structural Tube Per. ASTM 1085
Round Structural Tube Per. ASTM 1085, HSS Hollow Structural Section Structural Tube ASTM 1085, HSS Hollow Structural Section Round Structural Tube table chart.
- Square Hollow structural sections (HSS) Table Chart per ASTM 1085 Table Chart ASTM 1085, table chart HSS Hollow Structural Section Square Structural Tube.
BS, DIN and ISO Standards
- Minimum ultimate tensile loads and proofing loads BS EN ISO 898-1
- BS EN ISO 898-1 Proofing loads ISO metric coarse pitch thread
- BS EN 20898-2 Proof load values - Coarse thread
- BS EN ISO 898-6 Proof load values and Minimum Stripping Strength of nuts
- BS ISO EN DIN 20898-7 Mechanical properties of fasteners: torsional test and minimum torques for bolts and screws with nominal diameters 1–10 mm
- BS EN ISO 10642 Hexagon socket countersunk head screws
- ISO BS EN DIN 4320 Plain Washer, Bright Metric Series
- BS 4320 Plain Washer, Black Metric Series
- BS 4464, Single Coil Rectangular Spring Washer, Metric Series Types B and BP
- BS 4464 Double Coil Rectangular Section Spring Washer: Metric Series, Type D
- BS ISO EN 4463 Metric Crinkle Washers Specifications
- DIN 6797 Toothed lock washers, metric
- DIN 6798 Serrated Lock Washers, Metric
- British Association BA Screws Threads tapping and clearance drills table
- Steel Section Properties Chart Narrow I-Beam BS 4-1 | EN 1993-1-1 Steel Section Properties and Dimensions Narrow I-Beam Chart | BS 4-1 | EN 1993-1-1.
- Steel Section Properties Chart Wide I-Beam BS 4-1 | EN 1993-1-1 Steel Section Properties and Dimensions Wide I-Beam Chart | BS 4-1 | EN 1993-1-1
- Structural Steel Angle Section Properties, Unequal Leg BSI BS EN 10056 Structural Steel Angle Section Properties, Unequal Leg BSI BS EN 1005
- Structural Steel Angle Section Properties, Equal Leg BSI BS EN 10056 Tolerances for equal and unequal leg angles are given in EN 10056-2.
- Structural Steel I-Beam Universal Flange Section Properties BS 4-1:2005 BS 4-1:2005 specifies the dimensions and mass of the following hot-rolled structural steel sections: Sizes 203 to 914
- Structural Steel I-Beam Universal Flange Section Properties BS4: Part 1: 1993 BS4: Part 1 | European Standard Wide Flange H Beam.
- Thermal Electrical Properties Table Chart Iron per BS2789 thermal and electrical properties of ductile iron grades covered UK specification BS2789.
- ISO Stress Area Equation and Calculator - Proof load values are given in BS EN 20898-2:
- T-Slot Profile Design per. BS 2485
- T-Bolts and T-Nuts Dimensions per. BS 2485
SST ASIC Structural Shapes
Commercial Manufacturing Materials
Misc. Engineering Materials
- Advanced Composites, Design and Applications
- Composites Materials Handbook, Volume 1 Design Guidelines for Characterizations of Structural Materials
- Composites Materials Handbook, Volume 2 Composite Material Properties
- Composites Materials Handbook, Volume 3 Material Usage, Design and Analysis
- Composites Materials Handbook, Volume 4 Metal Matrix Composites
- Composites Materials Handbook, Volume 5 Ceramic Matrix Composites
- Bolted and Bonded Joints in Polymeric Composites
- Fibrous Composites, Design and Analysis
- Graphite Electrodes Graphite electrodes are used primarily in electric arc furnace steel manufacturing.
- Graphite Blocks and Rounds Graphite Blocks and Rounds Application Review
- Gouging Rods Gouging rods are used for cutting, welding, removing metal defects, inspection of welds and removing excessive welds.
- NEMA and IEC Standard Taper and Connection Sizes for Graphite / Carbon Electrodes NEMA & IEC 3, 4 TPI Taper standards, and male / female size connection sizes
- Specialty Graphite Review Specialty or custom graphite materials and shapes are available within industry.
Polymers - Plastics