Pump Types and Applications Resources
- The following engineering design data, articles for pumps.
- Should you find any errors omissions broken links, please let us know - Feedback
** Search this PAGE ONLY, click on Maginifying Glass **
- Air-Operated Pumps Air operated pumps use compressed air to operate pumping action of the pump.
- API Process Pump Review American Petroleum Institute (API) 610 standard for pumps handling hydrocarbons.
- Cavitation Centrifugal Pump Minimum Safe Suction Head Formulas and Calculator - If the suction pressure of a pump falls to a very low value, the fluid may boil at a low pressure region (e.g. at the vane inlet).
- Centrifugal Pump Centrifugal pumps consist of a stationary pump casing and an impeller mounted on a rotating shaft.
- Chemical Injection Pumps Chemical Injection Pumps are specially designed to operate with specific fluid handling requirements.
- Chopper Pumps Review Chopper pumps are typically operated and designed for specific industrial or agricultural applications.
- End Suction Pumps End suction pumps are one of the most common types of centrifugal pumps.
- Explosion Proof Pumps Review Explosion-proof pumps are available in all pump technologies and types
- Fire Pumps Fire pumps are used to move water through a fire sprinkler system or to manual hose bibs
- Hydraulic Ram Pump for Pumping Water, Operation and Design Premium Membership Required
- Impeller Pump Types Impellers can be either single suction or double-suction.
- Multi-Stage Centrifugal Pump Multi-Stage Centrifugal Pump Review
- Oil mist Eliminators Review Oil Mist Eliminators trap or filter out oil mist
- Peristalic Pumps Review Peristalic pump uses positive displacement to squeeze a leak-proof tube or hose, forcing the pumped fluid through the hose.
- Piston Pump Review Piston pump is a type of reciprocating pump that pressurizes fluid by using reciprocating pistons
- Plastic Pumps Review Plastic pumps are made for applications which require a high level of corrosion or damage resistance
- Positive Net Suction Design and Analysis Formula With the design of pump systems attention should be given to the pressure and temperature of the water as it enters the pump, especially in condenser towers, steam condensate returns, and steam boiler feeds. The pressure in excess of that required to prevent vapor pockets from forming is the Net Positive Suction Head Required (NPSHR).
Pump Power Requirements Spreadsheet Calculator
Requires a Premium Membership to download
- Pump Motor Size Calculator Spreadsheet, Requires an active Premium Membership
- Pump Diffuser Diffuser pump vanes are designed in a manner that the liquid exiting the impeller will encounter an ever increasing flow area
- Self Priming Pumps Self-priming pump is a centrifugal pump that removes the need for external priming
- Slurry Pumps Review Slurry pumps are built to handle thick, abrasive, or solids-filled slurries.
- Submersible Pumps Submersible pumps are designed to function with both pump and motor submerged in the fluid to be pumped.
- Trash Pumps Review Trash pumps, also referred to as sludge pumps, grinder pumps, chopper pumps, or wastewater pumps
- Triplex Pumps Review Triplex pump mechanism contributes to a smooth flow, reduced pressure pulsations, and reduced fatigue
- Vertical Turbine Pumps Vertical turbine pumps are centrifugal pumps designed to move water from an underground reservoir.
- Viscous Liquid Pumps Review Viscous liquids are fluids that have a medium to high viscosity.
Centrifugal Pump Components
- Centrifugal Pump Components General Typical Centrifugal pumps vary in design and construction from simple pumps with relatively few parts to extremely complicated pumps with hundreds of individual parts.
- Pump Wearing Rings To minimize the cost of pump maintenance, many centrifugal pumps are designed with wearing rings.
- Pump Stuffing Box It is not always possible to use a standard centrifugal pumps stuffing box
- Pump Mechanical Seal One common method for sealing a pump shaft is with mechanical seals.
Centrifugal Pump Flow Types
- Pump Flow Classification General Radial flow, axial flow, mixed flow
- Axial Flow Pump Axial Flow Pumps impeller pushes the liquid in a direction parallel to the pump shaft.
- Axial Flow Pump #2 Axial flow pumps are a type of centrifugal pump.
- Mixed Flow Pump Mixed flow centrifugal pumps borrow characteristics from both radial flow and axial flow pumps.
Centrifugal Pump Operation
- Pump Cavitation Cavitation has a significant effect on pump performance.
- Centrifugal Pump Net Positive Suction Head Net positive suction head is the difference between the pressure at the suction of the pump and the saturation pressure for the liquid being pumped.
Centrifugal Pump Requirements Spreadsheet Calculator
Requires a Premium Membership to download
- Preventing Cavitation in Centrifugal Pump System design or operation may be necessary to increase the NPSHA above the NPSHR and stop the cavitation.
- Centrifugal Pump Characteristic Curve Centrifugal Pump Characteristic Curve
- Centrifugal Pump Protection Centrifugal pumps must also be protected from runout.
- Centrifugal Pump Gas Binding Where the pump casing is filled with gases or vapors to the point where the impeller is no longer able to contact enough fluid to function correctly.
- Pump Priming Most centrifugal pumps are not self-priming.
Positive Displacement Pump
- Positive Displacement Pump Review General Positive displacement pump is one in which a definite volume of liquid is delivered for each cycle of pump operation.
- Positive Displacement Pump Operation and Theory All positive displacement pumps operate on the same basic principle.
- Plunger Pumps Plunger Pumps are reciprocating positive displacement pumps
- Rotary Pump Review Rotary pumps operate on the principle that a rotating vane, screw, or gear traps
- Gear Pump Review Simple gear pump consists of two spur gears meshing together and revolving in opposite directions within a casing.
- Helix and Spur Gear Pump Helix Spur Type Gear Pump
- Lobe Type Gear pump Some designs of lobe pumps are fitted with replaceable gibs
- Screw Type Positive Displacement Gear Pump Two common designs are the two-screw, low-pitch, double-flow pump and the three-screw, high-pitch, double-flow pump.
- Rotary Vane Type Positive Displacement Pump Rotary moving vane pump shown below is another type of positive displacement pump
- Diaphragm Pump Diaphragm pumps are also classified as positive displacement pumps
- Double Diaphragm Pumps Review Double Diaphragm Pumps diaphragms acts as a limited displacement piston.
- Positive Displacement Pump Characteristic Curve Positive displacement pumps deliver a definite volume of liquid for each cycle of pump operation.
- Positive Displacement Pump Protection Positive Displacement Pump Protection
- Hydrostatic Pumps Review Hydrostatic Pumps, are used to convert fluid power into mechanical power.
- Metering Pumps Review Metering pump performance selection considerations:
Other Types of Pumps
- Magnetic Drive Pumps Review Magnetic drive pumps are driven by the force of magnets instead of being directly coupled to a motor.
- Multi Stage Air Compressor Multi Stage Air Compressors the efficiency is increased by using more than one stage if intercooling
- Pelton Impulse Water Turbine Design Formulas This is a water turbine in which the pressure energy of the water is converted wholly to kinetic energy in one or more jets which impinge on buckets disposed around the periphery of a wheel.
- Progressive Cavity Pumps Review Progressing cavity pump" is a pump that transfers fluid through a sequence of small, fixed shape cavities as an helix shaped rotor is rotated.
- Reciprocating Air Compressor Pump Equation Reciprocating Type Air Compressors consists of one or more cylinders with cranks, connecting rods and pistons.
- Roots Type Air Compressor Roots Type Air Compressors has two rotors
- Scroll Compressor Review Scroll compressor (also called spiral compressor, scroll pump and scroll vacuum pump) is a free standing involute spiral
- Vane Type Air Compressor Review and Design Equations Vane Type Air Compressor simplest type consists of a rotor mounted eccentrically in a cylindrical casing.
Pump Design and Analysis
Series and Parallel Pump Spreadsheet Calculator
Requires a Premium Membership to download