Related Resources: material science
Tension Compression Machine Feature Equation and Calculator
Machine Design and Engineering
Beam Stress Deflection Design and Analysis
Strength of Materials
Design calculators and equations for tension and compression of a machine feature with reduces section area..
- Machine components are designed to withstand: applied direct forces, moments and torsion.
- These loads may be applied gradually, suddenly, and repeatedly.
- The design load is equal to the applied load multiplied by a combined shock and fatigue factor, Ks.
- The average applied design stress must be multiplied by a stress concentration factor K
- Calculated deflections are compared with required stiffness.
- The material strength is compared with the maximum stress due to combinations of anticipated loads.
As shown below, + P = Tension and - P = Compression
Reference: Design of Machine Elements, by V.M. Faires, published by: The Macmillan Company, New York/Collier-Macmillan Limited, London, England.
Preview: Tension Compression Machine Feature
All calculators require a Premium Membership