Thread: Rack and Pinion mounted sliding door

Rack and Pinion mounted sliding door

Hello

I am new here and a school student.

This is my first post here,

I am trying to build a Rack and Pinion mounted sliding door. But not able figure out the mechanism how to fix sliding door to Rack and Pinion

Requesting if somone can share me drawing which would be of immense help to complete my project

You should search the internet for " Rack and Pinion mounted sliding door" then select "Images" be it google of bing.

There will be many example of existing design and products.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Welcome to the world of engineering. You will learn that often the most critical step in solving a problem is to define it properly. How many times have I realized that I was causing my own difficulty by falling for the assumptions imbedded in my incorrect definition of the problem?

As an example, you say you are trying to "build a Rack and Pinion mounted sliding door." Actually that's not correct. In building a linear motion system, we have to separate the job of "mounting" the moving load from the job of "powering" it. In this case the rack and pinion will POWER a door that is already MOUNTED on a separate support system that allows motion.

I'm not just being picky about your wording. I'm pointing this out because in standard rack and pinion systems, the rack does not support the weight of the door. The rack is attached (by bolts or other means) a moving load that is supported by other means (bearing, rollers, etc). The door supports the rack.

So, job #1 is to come up with a way to support the door that allows it to move as you want. Job #2 is to attach a rack to it. Job #3 is to position a driven pinion gear such that will engage the rack.

Hope that helps.