Thread: Hydraulics for the uninitiated

Hydraulics for the uninitiated

Hello,

I've recently acquired one of those questionable looking 1-ton mini-excavators for some upcoming projects. Overall I'm pretty happy with the unit now that we've tightened all the bolts that came loose during shipping, but I'm not as well versed in hydraulics theory as I'd like to be.
    I'm wondering if anyone has resources they'd suggest for a redneck who'd like to avoid learning everything the hard way.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out what's involved in adding an accumulator to help smooth out operation, and how I might be able to identify the limiting factor on the wheel motor speed (pump, lines, oriface, or the motors themselves).
    I'm also coming from ********** that almost exclusively use NPT and JIC connections, so I'm curious about other styles I ought to familiarize myself with.

Thanks!

Hydraulic & Pneumatic Design Engineering, Moody Chart, Pipe Schedules Size Chart, Hydraulic Pneumatic Cylinder Force and Pressure Equations and Calculations, O-Ring Installation, Design & Specification Gland (Groove) Sizes Static Cylindrical Applications,
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.