Thread: Heat Treating Welds Inquiry

Heat Treating Welds Inquiry

I have a customer that requires Post heat treating within 24 hours of the welding. What benefits does this add to the process? I have to schedule a heat treating facility to reserve their ovens to be ready right away after the welding process of a large qty order.

Thanks
    CB

As I understand welding most materials have time restraints between the time the joint is welded to completion and when Post Weld Heat Treatment is performed unless the WPS -Welding Procedure Specification- says something else. So, the general phrasing usually immediately after welding.

Depending of the material there is in selected cases creep and other performance degrading characteristics that require post heat treating to offset.

I do know that post weld heat treatment is required for Grade 91 steels. The holding range should be 1375 to 1425°F for a minimum of 2 hours. a long time at temperature post weld heat treating temperature is necessary to form the required weld structure, to ensure adequate toughness testing and to ensure adequate service life.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

voyile3461
    the customer has specified that PWHT must be performed within 24 hours of welding. This may be because they want to ensure that the component is fully stress-relieved and has the desired mechanical properties as soon as possible, or it may be because of other logistical or operational considerations. It is important to ensure that the PWHT is performed correctly and according to the applicable standards and specifications, in order to achieve the desired benefits and avoid any negative effects on the component. Scheduling a heat treating facility to reserve their ovens in advance is a good way to ensure that the PWHT can be performed promptly and efficiently after welding.