Electronics, Instrumentation & Electrical Database
Sensors and Transducers Suppiers Menu
Rack Mounted Enclosure Manufacturers
Rack Mount Enclosures Advantages and Design
Rack Mount Enclosures for electronics and
electrical systems offer distinct advantages over fixed
mount type enclosures. Rack mount enclosures are designed to
accept electronic assemblies or modules designed and
manufactured with standard slide or alignment rails and
locking mechanisms. These alignment rails facilitate easy
installation and removal of the electronics assemblies. A
classic rack mount enclosure is a tower type computer
enclosure. The computer enclosure typically has several
racks available for the addition of modems, graphics
accelerators, or other computer upgrades. Sometimes, rack
mounted enclosures incorporate a electrical backplane with
precision located connectors. When the electronics assembly
is installed into the rack, a connector located to the rear
of the electronics assembly will interface with the
backplane connector. Rack mount enclosures may also include
cable cradles to support wires and cable bundles interconnecting
the electronics assemblies.
Typical Remote Rack Mount
Typical Server Rack Mount Enclosure
Wall Rack Mount Enclosure
Rack mount enclosures are commonly used for computer
server modules, wall mount applications, desktop or
tabletop electronics, and LAN network installations. Rack
mount enclosures are available to industry standard mount
configuration, such as NEMA, or may be specified to be a
custom design including some of the following features;
- Multiple doors; front and back, front and side, double
front and/or double back
- Multiple compartments one enclosure having two or
sealed off from one another
- Window kits; fixed or hinged
- Casters for easy mobility
- Leveling feet
- Specialty locks or fasteners
- Swing out panels
Typical NEMA ratings applicable to rack mounted
- NEMA 1 - Indoor use with some protection against
contact with enclosed equipment.
- NEMA 2 - Indoor use with some protection against
minimal amounts of falling water or dirt.
- NEMA 3 - Outdoor use with some protection against
windblown dust, rain or sleet.
- NEMA 3R - Outdoor use with some protection against
falling rain or sleet.
- NEMA 4 - Indoor or Outdoor use with some protection
against windblown dust or rain, splashing or hose
- NEMA 4X - Indoor or Outdoor use with some protection
against corrosion, windblown dust or rain, splashing or
hose directed water.
- NEMA 12 - Indoor use with some protection against
dust, falling dirt and dripping, noncorrosive liquids.
- NEMA 13 - Indoor use with some protection against
dust, sprayed water, oil and non-corrosive liquids.