Visual Tactile Cylindrical Ground Surface Roughness Comparator 4 - 63 microinch.
(10) Replicated turned surface finish specimens: 5 shown as inside diameter (ID) and 5 shown as outside diameter (OD) - both with a range of 4 to 63 µ in
Place the Surface Roughness Scale alongside your work piece. Slide the scale so that the rectangle with the surface roughness you want is adjacent to the piece you are examining. Compare by drawing the tip of the fingernail across each surface at right angles to the tool mark. The feel of the fingernail contact must be the same if the finishes are identical.
- The Visual Tactile Cylindrical Ground Surface Roughness Comparator is rectangular in shape (2 3/8" x 6 1/4") and is a corrosion resistant electroformed nickel duplicate of actual ground inside diameter (I.D.) and outside diameter (O.D.) surfaces.
- There are ten replicated ground surface roughness finish specimens; Five are shown as I.D. and five are shown as O.D. - both with range of 4 to 63 microinches.
- Supplied in a leatherette case with engineering data and instructions.
- Also available in metric with micrometer designations.
The Surface Roughness Comparator Scale provides an economical tool which permits roughness to be specified on the same basis as linear measurements. The surfaces presented are the result of years of research and engineering. Details covering this subject are now published in The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) specification titled: "Surface Texture, Surface Roughness, Waviness and Lay". ANSI/ASME B46.1
Surface Roughness Scale is made by a dual electroforming process wherein nickel is electrodeposited to provide an exact reproduction in intricate detail. The surfaces used in this scale are reproductions of accurately turned surfaces measured in microinches (millionths of an inch- 0.000001"). The numbers engraved alongside each surface are the average deviation from the mean surface expressed in microinches.
The Cylindrical Ground Roughness Comparator Roughness Scale provides industry with established cylindrical roughness specimens for visual and tactual comparison. It is used in specifying and controlling surface roughness when a product having the appearance of typically turned surfaces is required.
Easy to use:
Place the Cylindrical Ground Roughness Comparator Scale alongside your work piece. Slide the scale so that the rectangle with the surface roughness you want is adjacent to the piece you are examining. Compare by drawing the tip of the fingernail across each surface at right angles to the tool mark. The feel of the fingernail contact must be the same if the finishes are identical.
Individually serialized, calibrated and certified comparators are available from Engineers Edge at an additional charge. These prices are subject to change without notice. Contact Engineers Edge to determine current price and lead time - Contact Form